Tuesday, January 17, 2012

January 16, 2012

To everyone:

I have had some incredible experiences this past week, and have really seen that the Lord trusts ME with the salvation of souls...really big responsibility once I realized it. But since it is so important to Him, He is right there to help me do it.
I met a girl in a wheel chair the end of December, mariela. She just had an operation on her knee because of arthritis, even though she is 23 years old. Her niece lives the street above her, but stays with her most of the days to watch after her. We have been teaching the two of them and things were progressing slowly, but we stressed the importance of asking Heavenly Father directly and receiving a heavenly answer rather than a worldly one. Well, the neice, Estefania, asked Heavenly Father if the Book of Mormon is true and if this is the true church of Christ and if He could make it known to her by means of a dream. Well, that night in her dream, Joseph Smith appeared and said it is all true and that she needs to get baptized! I was so happy! I was completely blown away, but then she asked, "do my parents need to sign something for a baptism?" sadly, yes, and her parents are FULLY against it and she was extrememly dissapointed.
Mariela, her aunt, while we were visiting her one day with a member, kind of had an ah-ha moment when the Hermano was talking. Mariela had some doubts about baptism, but I told her that I am not here in Ecuador by chance. First told her about mission application process and the probability of me getting sent to Ecuador. Then, the accident with Briana and that I shouldn't really be living. And the probability that I am serving in that very sector (San Juan) at that very moment. I said, there is no reason for you to not take the step of faith and get baptized. Well, she still wanted to wait until sunday to go to church and see what it felt like there. Well, she went, and Estefania too, and so we went to visit them after church. Estefania said, "I prayed like you asked me to in order to know when I should get baptized, whether I should wait until I'm 18 to not offend my parents, and I got an answer...the 28 of January like you invited me to. But, when my parents found out that I went to Church today, they said that if they see any missionaries or anyone from the church at Mariela's house, they won't let me see her again. " So that is the problem at this point, a mother/sister who is blinded and stubborn and is prohibiting the salvation of 2 of God's daughters. And, better yet,  I just got transferred today...I am now in a place called Ibarra as the District Leader. Responsible for the Salvation of more souls...what a ton of bricks...So, it would be great if you could pray for Stefanie's parents so they can soften their hearts.
Ibarra looks like a great place, but it is small. Not even a stake, just a district still, made up of 4 branches. what I have heard, it is the oldest district in the world (which goes to show that the members aren't amazing right now). It would need 5 wards for it to be a stake, so we are here to do our best to get things flowing with the members. My new companion, Elder Rocha, is from Brazil and has a cool accent in spanish. He came 9 weeks after me, and I think was in the Brazil MTC the same time as Elder Astle.
Well, Love you all
Elder Blackwelder

To Candice:
That was the best letter I ever got from you, and I feel so sad that I don't have time to write. I am in the terminal in Ibarra waiting for another missionary to get here I got transfered, very sad. But we had such a good last two weeks, especially this weekend. We had a "regalito" baptism of a less active dad's son who is incredible and such a smart 10 year old. Kevin MoĆ­ses Lavayen Vicente, I got to do the baptisma and confirmation. So, that was the only baptisms we had in san juan this transfer...kinda wimpy, but still amazing. The trip from Quito to ibarra is incredible...goes from the city of quito to a desert like Baja Mexico in the spring, to rolling volcanic hills with houses and cows to an epic view of a lake and then a wide valley known as Ibarra, but people here have goofy accents and say Ibazha basically. They don't say "rr" correctly.  I LOVE you and am soooo excited for those things too when I get back, but it would also be fine if you got married I think...but nonetheless, good times ahead. My new companion is from Brazil. Elder Rocha, and he got here 3 weeks before elder Comsa and so 9 weeks after me! Crazy that he and I use Spanish as our common tonuge, something that is new for the two of us. I am District leader, which is kinda gnarly for me right now to realize. I have to give training every thursday to 6 people, all, with the exception of one, of which have more time in the mission than me. Yikes.
Love Ian

No comments:

Post a Comment