Saturday, February 4, 2012

January 23, 2012

 my shoes

 my reflection on the bus (yes we do travel alone)


  My friends from my MTC group at the training meeting we had with president in otavalo

 my nasty kitchen in the cave we live in (the light in the photo is actual, it's like camping because there is a big shadow from the yellow light on the one wall. we're in the process of looking for another house)

 baptism of Kevin Moises


 the zone the day of transfers waiting for the bus
in the bus at terminal Quitumbe



the view from in the bus. I am glad you and dad checked out the drive from quito to ibarra, it really was quite incredible. I loved the desert to roling green hills change. Did you guys look on google earth?



Everyone-


So, my first full week in Sagrario Ibarra. It is very different than San Juan. Starting with the house, my new one has very few windows. It makes it very sad and dismal, and it has also been really cloudy and rainy, so that doesn't help much either. But it is all flat! no hills! However, it makes it very difficult to orient yourself. It is a really interesting city, and the people are much friendlier and much more willing to listen. My companion doesn't really know where things are either, so the only investigators we have are really close to the house, but occasionally we have lunch in the more extremities of the sector. We have a crummy map at the house that I try to study at night to get to know it all, but I have know idea where the boundaries are. I think on Tuesday we have a meeting with the branch president to get things like that settled. Oh, the branch. It is really great actually, a lot stronger I'd say than my old ward in San Juan, but there are a few things they are lacking (like a piano player in sacrament). I am actually excited though to be able to work in a branch because there is a real goal to be reached of becoming a ward. It was hard to leave the investigators and everything in San Juan, but I think I just need to learn to get over it.
We are working with the Burgos Family. They were found a few weeks ago by my companion Elder Rocha and another Elder who is in Tulcan, Elder Pande. The dad has a cheese company and is away from the house A LOT, so it is hard to find them all together. They are highly wealthy and have a very different way of conversing. Their house is Chinese themed with big fans on the walls for decoration and chinese style furniture. The folks here are considerably more wealthy than San Juan, but there certainly are some sectors of the poorer variety. I don't think I prefer either more than the other, they both have their ups and downs. My companion is a really good teacher. He only has 9 weeks in the mission, but I have learned a lot from him in lessons. He has a really different accent because he is from Brazil. He has been really sick lately, but I think we are going to start running in the mornings to get to know the sector a little bit better. We have a few other people we are working with besides the Burgos family, but they were the only ones who showed up at church. Elder Rocha and I think that once they get baptized, Hermano Burgos will be the first Bishop of the ward. They are really good investigators, just lack the time. That is about it for this week. I am just continuing to get to know Ibarra and the people, and getting used to my new responsibilities. 

Love you all

Elder Blackwelder


No comments:

Post a Comment