Monday, November 28, 2011

November 7, 2011

To Mom:
Hey, wow, Kelsey is getting married! Incredible! I'm so excited for her. I was about to give her the email of my companion so she could practice her Spanish and he could write someone, his fam doesn't write much. So, thank you for extra fast offering money. I felt that it was kinda my obligation to pay, but i haven't had a ton to spend. Imagine what $20 could do for a family here...it's incredible. The family we baptized last week, the Yupa family, the mom sells things, food mostly, onthe streets. One week she said she only sold 2.50...from then on I always buy 2 packs of sugared peanuts...I think I already told you this story...sorry (: 
So today was incredible, I found the Eecuador I've dreamed of. This picture says it all (above). We rode this tram, the telefèriqo, to the top of a mountain, then we hiked the rest of the way to the volcano Rucu Pichincha. It was so wet. We kinda expected the sun to burn off the fog, but it turned from fog, to mist, to rain...so fun though. Grass everywhere. I was in HEAVEN. 
I think this internet cafe is going to close, so I'll have to write quick. Thanks for your testimony, it's really tough here to teach people how to gain a real testimony. Everyone already has beliefs in Jesus Christ, and it is so hard for them to change what they believe. Luckily, there are other things that the church offers, like a support system, classes on self sufficiency and such to help people understand that this is the true church of Jesus Christ. But there is still the almost impossible task of getting people to go to church. So incredibly hard. We can call 30 mins before and they confirm they're coming, but then don't show up and instead ended up hours away at their great aunt's house! Holy smokes!
This week was just silly because it's a big holiday week. It's Halloween until the end of the week everyone goes to the coast or to their relatives. Quito was practically empty. We had to improvise to use our time.  
I love you, have a good week.
Elder Blackwelder

To Tess:
The cooking is great for the most part. I make a really good soup from rapiditos (like top ramen) with a bunch of other things added in like potatoes, tomatoes, kale, onions..whatever they are selling at the store really. 
I just watched the video of Elliott! So cute. Thank you so much I look forward to the Christmas extravaganza! We have a little DVD player in the house, so something like that (a burned DVD of me, Adam, Elliott) would be excellent. Elliott looks like he is really trying and concentrating on his movements with his hands and body. Trying to sit up and such. There is a baby girl here, who is a year and 7 months but she can't say a thing! nor walk! Kinda far behind I thought, but I'm not totally sure. Thom was wearing underwear at 2, from what I remember. What a champ! Elliott is going to be a great kid, because he has a great mother and father.
I had a dream about my kids the other night. We lived here in Ecuador! 

I went on a hike today that made it certain that I will have a home here someday. The most amazing grasses and flowers as we hiked in the mist up to volcano Rucu Pichincha. I beat my altitude record! We were at 13, 900! I was amazed! I could breathe normally, it was so cool. We met some gringo folks on the trail and I was talking with them forever. They are from san diego and are here hiking 4 different voncanoes and using this as their prep hike. The mountains here are so different - so new from the volcanic activity. AND SO STEEP! Some amazing cliffs. Someday you shall see. I hope you have a good week

Love elder Blackwelder

No comments:

Post a Comment