Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Second Week in Ecuador

We are happy to have received Ian's letter from his second week in Ecuador:

"Another grand week here in the middle of the World. Today was fun, we went to the church/mission offices a little bit North and bought books and DVDs for our portable DVD players that we are testing out for South America or something. Then after the offices we went to this open air market selling handcrafts....incredible. Just the other day I was thinking, I would really like one of those hats that the old folks here are always wearing. Sure enough, they had them there! And only like $20 too, but I didn't have cash with me, so next week or something. The Otovalos they’re called, the tribe/culture that makes all those cool crafts and weaves. They make great music too. The guys that drive around and pick up trash play otovaleƱo music really loud so people know to bring out their trash. It's kind of creepy in a way, playing music that is. Oh, and while we were at the office, another missionary told us that some of his family works with NASA and there is supposedly a huge earthquake expected soon here. I can't wait. We went to the store and bought all our 72 hour kit supplies. My companion is super freaked out about it, he was telling me that the tectonic plates join right here in the center of the world and currently they're on top of each other, but have to move apart then slide. He was telling me Quito is going to be a big hole…I pulled out my map and showed him where the plates are and that they don't cross Quito, but are indeed close. It was funny to see him think this all through.
So, this week has been another of great learning. We taught a few more lessons and such and lots of walking. It was quite a Bri week for me, sounds like it was for all of you as well, and it really is crazy that it has almost been half a year...I think about it everyday and try to find time to write down my story. I told my companion about it on the 23rd. It was interesting because I had talked about the family before, but hadn't shown pictures. And after personal study he asked me to show him pictures of you all. So i did, and told him, these are my 3 older sisters...parents...little brother...then he went back through and was looking at them himself and then said "Which sister is this? How old is she? There is something in the way she smiles, something in her eye, somthing that makes here different than the other two." I then told him, well, she's actually passed away, and I live to tell the tale. I told him the whole thing as best I could in spanish, and said that she probably seems familiar to you because she's been hangin out with us the whole time we've been companions, well, with me for my whole mission rather. haha I'm just happy to be alive. :)
Then, last night, we were with our whole zone going out to investigators houses that have baptismal dates set, and sing them songs and give them a good cheerup. Elder Barrera and I left with Elder Diaz and Elder Putnam early because Elder Diaz, who worked in my sector for a bit and has all the phone numbers of the members, got a call from Hermana Blanca who feeds the missionaries on Tuesdays in her restaurant. She was crying and said she needed a blessing. He told us she was pregnant, so I figured yeah, she's just got some wacky hormones. We got to her house and she invited us in. The father is not around anymore...but she began to tell us the story: she just found out on Friday that her baby has died, and that there is a tumor there as well. The doctors told her that in reality they aren't sure if the baby is dead, but the tumor will soon kill it if it hasn't already. She told us that earlier in her life she had cancer of the uterus and was expected to only live 3 more years. Then things worsened and the doctors predicted 3 months, worsened still and they gave her three days. She received a blessing from someone in the ward in her last 72  hours of expected life, and somehow, the cancer just left. She recovered 100% without ever having to do chemo or any radiation. She said she was so thankful for this and how incredible it has been for her to have that experience. I couldn't believe it, a miracle sitting in front of me with yet another life threatening trial before her. Elder Diaz was born missing a full right hand; he's got a thumb and some lumps with fingernails. I'm sure he's had some hard times in his life with it, and so he proceeded to talk about her baby and that if it turns out to be alive still, and if at all comes out disfigured, to love it with all her heart, more than any other mother could. We were all just about in tears at this point and I was thinking in my head, how does it work, can Briana help Blanca out? Can she Be with this single mother and comfort her through this incredible time of loneliness and absolute fear? And then I felt her, Briana was just everwhere. So much Love and everything, and so after the blessing, I asked if we could sing a hymn. I don't know the title in English (Abide with Me; 'Tis Eventide), but the chorus is "Savior stay this night with me, behold, tis eventide". I love this hymn  because it always reminds me of those times in the hospital when my memory wasn't all there, the nurses wouldn't tell me what had happened, I was scared, alone, and so confused. I conveyed to her my story about this hymn and told her I imagined that’s how she felt right now. I couldn't even sing I was crying so much. haha! I haven't cried about the accident for a long time now. Right now, writing this, I am just sobbin it up in the internet cafe. There is a dog sleeping under my chair and a little girl sitting next to me is pretty confused why I'm typing and crying, and why I am so white and tall and why I'm in her country. I don't wonder those things anymore, I know why I'm here."
-Elder Blackwelder

I loved hearing from Ian this week. He is right that we have all been thinking about Briana, our sister who died in a car accident with Ian 5 months ago.
I also enjoyed hearing about the Otavaleno people with their beautiful music, weavings, and other handicrafts.  It inspired me to learn more about them; here are some links to more information.
-Tess (Ian's sister)

Virtual tour of the town:

Otavaleno history
Lyrics to a popular song
Here are photos I found from the Otavalo Market:
Otavaleno music street style:

No comments:

Post a Comment