Thursday, September 29, 2011

Letters from the Provo MTC

Here is a compilation of letters from Ian's 3 weeks at the Provo MTC (Missionary Training Center):

July 16th, 2011
"So today, Saturday, is our first "P" day (Personal Day). It isn't our official p-day, Thursday will be, but new missionaries all have Aaturday as their first p-day. Things have been great. Right out of the car, an Elder walks you to the main building and sends you inside to get your name tags, take ID picture, as well as get your id card. Then he walks you to your room where you drop your stuff off and then off to your first class. Right off the bat we were in class and our teachers only spoke Spanish to us. Apparently we're in some pilot program where they teach only in Spanish rather than teach about Spanish in English. I met my companions there: Elder Tempest from Draper, Utah and Elder Sanders from Lehi, Utah. The trio is fine, but can get annoying when you have to keep track of two people instead of just one. Our class consists of our trio plus two other companionships along with a set Sisters. This is our whole district. Us elders live on the same floor next door to each other, and our whole branch is pretty much the whole floor. Elder tempest is great, he reminds me of James Ali and I 'm glad I have him in the companionship.

Our teachers are Elder Urquhart and Hermana Alvarez. They are really nice and great teachers, but it is still so nerve racking to speak in Spanish. Especially when they had us teach Elder Urquhart in Espanol the second day as a mock investigator! Our district is really fun, and we all eat together. The cafeteria is SO much better than the cannon center. Portions are larger and quality over all is great. I got those dearelders, which was excellent. Kelly Anderson sent me a pack of cinnamon rolls, que bueno! We don't get much time to ourselves, but what time we do, we are supposed to be writing a talk which we may or may not be called on to give in Spanish tomorrow!
It is kinda fun to get moved around from class to class with Elders you don't really know. The closest thing to the MTC to me is scout camp. I feel like that prepared me more than mini MTC activities or anything else, at least for the flow or culture of things.
We had gym time yesterday and went over to the fields by the Provo Temple. We had gym time with a bunch of other Spanish speaking missionaries and it was fun to play futbol with them all. MEDIO! MEDIO! AQUI AQUI!! haha they all think they're hispanic.
So sad to hear about the hamster, but inevitable too ): My floor has the advanced Spanish learners, along with intermediate Spanish learners, so I think Henry will be on my floor!!!! I've been able to see so many friends from the dorms! Ben and I have the same lunch time, so we chat a bit everyday!!! I've seen Isaac Stevens, Weston Cummings, tons of acquaintances from Helaman Halls, and Brad Otto! He lives in my building, apparently!
Well, thanks for those dearelders, don't be afraid to send more!
Love you all,
Elder Blackwelder


July 21st, 2011
"A full week! Went very quickly and very slow at the same time. Kinda the same old routine now, about 6 hours of Spanish class every day, broken into two 3-hour segments. Sometimes before lunch, after lunch, after dinner....anything really. 3 hours of personal study time or so, and then an hour or so of personal language study. About an hour of gym time daily where we usually just play soccer because it's funny hear to hear a bunch of white guys speak futbol Spanish. We have to get up by 6:30, but me and my companions try to get up around 6:00 and do some work outs. There's a pull up bar outside our door which is fun. I'm starting to miss the beach a little bit, but for the most part it's been ok, I haven't missed anything too much. Of course I miss my friends and everyone I know, but friendships are growing here in the MTC which makes the transistion much easier. HENRY ARRIVED!! that was exciting, he lives on the floor above me and has class near mine. It's so pleasant to see friends you know. I usually get to eat lunch with Elder Thomas and sometimes dinner, but it all depends on the day of the week when our schedules match up. I've seen Elder Cummings a few times, Elder Olson, and I got to see Elder Messick before he left for Korea!! I'm trying to figure out a way to send some pictures, so maybe by next week they'll be there. It's so hard to be out on the field at gym time and you look up at the spectacular mountains that are so close you can almost spit on them, but as one of my friends in my district says, "you know how far away that mountain is over there, the one with the snow still on it? Two years...two years away." I get so sad every time ): I'm so excited to hear about Tess' baby! So much anxiety to find out the new addition to my family. Don't be afraid to make an account on Dearelder.com and send me a letter! Or even a real letter. Anyway, I hope all is well for everyone! I love you all!

Elder Blackwelder

P.S. Glenn: everyone does call me Elder BlackwELDER, emphasis on the elder. Kind of annoying (:

No comments:

Post a Comment